The best upright vacuum is a trusty helper when you need to keep the houses pick and span. As with all household gadgets, there are always new technologies in this ever changing market, so it pays to keep yourself updated on the latest trends of upright vacuums. To help you out, I’ve combed through fully upright vacuum research from experts and rounded up our top 5 picks on the best upright vacuum 2020 that are available.
What’s So Great About Upright Vacuum Cleaners?
Dirt and dust accumulate everywhere and over time. Corners, crevices between tiles and wood planks, as well as those fine fibers in your carpeted flooring, are practically breeding grounds for debris and bacteria. Vacuum cleaners trump traditional mopping and sweeping by sucking up the dust, instead of just wiping it away, or worse, dusting it off to somewhere else.
Okay, so you probably know by now that vacuum cleaners are much more efficient and effective at household cleaning. But what’s so great about upright vacuums? Well, among its vacuum cleaner compatriots, the upright vacuum cleaner is likely to provide you with the most thorough cleaning. Robot vacuum cleaners may be more convenient, but they are still limited when it comes to cleaning large households (due to the battery life), navigating around room obstacles without stalling, and performing a complete cleaning job when it comes to corners, crevices, stairs and even low-hanging curtains.
Compare upright vacuum reviews with those about robot or solely handheld vacuums, and you will find that upright vacuums are more suitable for extensive household cleaning. Robot vacuums simply cannot hold a candle to upright vacuums when it comes to cleaning hard-to-reach places like ceilings, shelves and crevices, cleaning around obstacles, and the cleaning duration when compared with corded upright vacuums. Handheld vacuums are mainly intended for cleaning small surface areas or devices like computer keyboards and do not have sufficient suction power to cover large surface areas efficiently. For now, an upright vacuum cleaner is still one of the best household gadgets to give your stairs and floors a good thorough cleaning.
Top 5 Best Upright Vacuums 2020 and Reviews:
Now, without further ado, here’s the 5 best upright vacuums I have shortlisted for 2020.
Best Upright Vacuum for an All-Rounder
1. Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional NV356E:
Shark Navigator NV356E is my top choice for the best overall upright vacuum. At about 14lbs, it is lightweight without compromising on its suction power. This upright vacuum also boasts of a 2-in-1 manoeuvrability that allows you to detach the stick handle from the canister with the push of a button to clean hard-to-reach places like ceilings, tall shelves and wall corners. Other impressive technologies include its completely sealed anti-allergen system, HEPA filter and Brushroll Shutoff button that allows you to transition seamlessly between carpet and hardwood floor cleaning without damaging your floor. All at a reasonable price point below $200.
Other than a small minority of user complaints about its weight distribution making it wieldier than expected and clogging troubles when it comes to extensive pet hair, most customers have nothing but rave reviews about this upright vacuum. There were also Amazon customer complaints about its relatively smaller cleaning path at 9.5 inches, but there were others who liked the narrower vacuum head for the increased ease in navigating and cleaning up small spaces. For a powerful and versatile product that boasts of higher-end technologies without the expensive price tag, the Shark Navigator NV356E is my definite choice for the best all-rounder.
Best Upright Vacuum Under $100
2. Bissell 9595A Vacuum OnePass:
The Bissell 959A Vacuum OnePass gets the job done without costing a bomb. At under $100, this humble upright vacuum may not have flashy designs that scream for attention, but its powerful suction makes it very efficient at cleaning all surfaces.
As the name suggests, its multi-cyclonic system creates a “typhoon” effect, giving the Bissell 959A Vacuum OnePass its long-lasting and high-power suction abilities and the ability to separate dirt and debris so that the filters stay cleaner for a longer period. The OnePass technology makes use of an innovative brush design that cleans deeper on its first rotation.
While it is not the lightest and most portable upright vacuum, the Bissell 959A Vacuum OnePass more than makes up for these with its fast and effective cleaning abilities at an affordable price tag. It is no wonder that the Bissell 959A Vacuum Onepass is one of the top upright vacuum 2020 on Amazon.
If you are on a budget, this would be the best upright vacuum for your needs.
Best Upright Vacuum for Pets
3. Deik Vacuum Cleaner, 2 in 1 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Deik Vacuum Cleaner offers a cleaning performance that beats most full-sized corded vacuums. It delivers the power needed to keep up with up, down and all around cleaning as well as multiple surfaces cleaning, including carpets and hard floors. If you would like to order this fantastic vacuum cleaner, then you should know that it comes with all the necessary accessories including; Wall Mount & Mounting Accessories, AC Power Adapter, and a Welcome Guide. Moreover, the manufacturer offers a 12- Month Worry-Free Warranty and Extra Roller Brush Replacement in their shop.
• Very easy to assemble and configure.
• Steerable, making maneuvering around furniture & tight areas a breeze.
• You can detach the portable handheld vacuum and tackle small messes and tight spaces with ease.
• LED lights on the main attachment enable you to clean dark areas with ease.
• The Lithium-ion battery runs for long-25 minutes
• After hanging the vacuum cleaner on the wall mount, you have to plug in the charge cord- the mount doesn’t automatically place the sweeper into charge mode.
This is a versatile cordless, upright vacuum cleaner that easily switches to a handheld vac at the touch of a button. It lets you clean multiple floors, and with just a push of a button, you’ll be able to transition its power from hard flooring to area rugs & low pile carpeting. The vacuum cleaner also comes with a stiff brush and a crevice tool, which you can use to clean cars, stairs, upholstery, and other hard to reach areas.
- Lightweight & Flexible: Deik vacuum cleaner weighs only 4.7 lbs, which makes it easy to handle when cleaning up, down and all around.
- High Power & Strong Suction: Despite the fact that the unit is lightweight, it still provides impressive 7Kpa of power for deep, thorough cleaning without compromising maneuverability.
- HEPA & Sponge Filtration: The HEPA filtration system helps lock in small particles that would otherwise be re-circulated back into the air, preventing the spread of allergies & bacteria.
- Upholstery Tool: The soft rubber edges lift & remove dust and pet hair from sofas and other upholstery.
- A Great Dust Bin: The dirt cup is bagless and comes with a reasonable capacity- 0.5L.
Best Upright Vacuum for Cordless Option
4. Shark IONFlex 2X Duo-Clean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum IF251
Shark IONFlex 2X Duo-Clean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum IF251 is designed with the latest technology to offer hassle free-runtime and convenient, cordless cleaning. The 2X ION Power Pack System lets you charge while cleaning, meaning that you won't run out of power. At the same time, MultiFLEX Technology enables you to pack anywhere, even while the battery charges elsewhere. Overall, this vacuum cleaner comes with features that let it offer cleaning versatility like no other.
- Duo-Clean Technology: Features a bristle brush for deep cleaning carpets, and soft brush roll which pulls in larger particles and directly engages floors for a polished look.
- Smart Response Technology: The vacuum cleaner comes with a range of performance-enhancing power settings that are tailored for your cleaning needs on floors and carpets.
- MultiFLEX Technology: Lets you bend the wand, providing you with a flexible reach for hard to reach areas such as under furniture. This also enables you to “free stand” park without the need to lean it against the wall or place it on a wall mount.
- 2X ION Power Pack System: Includes 2-removable & rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries as well as a charging dock.
- Anti Allergen Complete Seal: Helps protect you and your family from allergies & bacteria.
• Lightweight and easy to handle, weighing only 3.8 lbs.
• The unit has a low maintenance cost since it uses washable foam filters.
• Easily converts to a handheld vacuum for lightweight car cleaning, above floor cleaning, etc.
• The 2-batteries are removable giving you the freedom to charge when and where you want.
• LED headlights enable you to see and clean dark areas.
• Dust cup holds just 0.3 dry quarts up to the “Max Fill” line, but this isn’t an issue since it’s easy to empty.
Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum IF251 is well constructed with a combination of durable ABS &PP plastic, as well as metal & rubber components. We believe that it can serve you for an extended period as you enjoy the benefits of Duo-Clean and the convenience of cord-free power. Also, its shipped with all the important accessories, which includes Duster Crevice Tool, Anti-Allergen Dust Brush, Pet-Multi-Tool, 1 Charger, 2 Batteries and a single Battery Charging Dock.
Best Upright Vacuum for Who Can Splurge
5. Dyson Ball Animal 2:
For those who are familiar with vacuum cleaners, you are probably no stranger to Dyson. This well-known brand has a significant following of customers who swear by its vacuum cleaners. The Dyson Ball Animal 2 makes bold claims of its suction powers— the company describes it as having the “strongest suction of any vacuum”. These claims seem to have been validated by Top Ten Reviews, which put the upright vacuum to the test on various surfaces ranging from hard flooring to different carpeting profiles, different objects to try its limits at picking up fine particles, large objects, as well as chunks of hair, its noise level, and many other factors that customers usually consider when buying a vacuum cleaner. The Dyson Ball Animal 2 emerged top in Top Ten Reviews’ pick of upright vacuum cleaners 2020 for its unsurpassed cleaning and manoeuvring abilities compared to other contenders.
With a steep price tag that’s just above $430, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 does not offer many extra features. If you are looking for something with flashy features, consider yourself warned. Indeed, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 doesn’t boast of a clean filter indicator, dirt sensor, headlights, retractable cord or anything that screams fancy. So why were there close to 90% of Amazon customers who gave this seemingly unexciting product a 4-star or 5-star rating? Because it does its job, and unlike most understated workhorses, fortunately this upright vacuum didn’t go unnoticed by customers. Despite being a new arrival on Amazon for less than 90 days, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 has accumulated a respectable number of over 20 upright vacuum reviews with most of them bordering from positive to rave reviews exclaiming about the product’s exceptional cleaning power.
While it comes up short in terms of “sexy” features, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 focuses on design features that are arguably more important, albeit less exhilarating. Besides its high suction power, this upright vacuum has an anti-dust and anti-allergen sealed system that is not true HEPA filtration, but works well enough to be certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Other understated but useful features include the 50-feet reach with its power cord and extendable hose combined, brush and crevice tool storage space on the vacuum unit itself, and an assortment of fine-bristled and firm-bristled brushes on top of the standard additions (extension wand, upholstery tool, dusting brush and crevice tool).
So, if you can afford to indulge when it comes to upright vacuums, I would say that the Dyson Ball Animal 2 fits the bill as a powerful workhorse that is worth the splurge. Not to mention that Dyson is a well-established brand that provides excellent warranty and after-support service.
At the end of the day, all we want is a vacuum cleaner that makes cleaning faster and more effective. For those need an upright vacuum 2020, these 5 top picks would be a good choice for you. Again, depending on your needs, you may be considering other vacuum types like backpack vacuums or even commercial vacuums. Whatever the reasons, be sure to follow my blog for more reviews on other vacuum types models.
For more vacuum reviews 2020, do check out my other articles: